Thursday, February 7, 2013

Sea grass in the midwest

I am currently working on a home that requested a "Florida" look. It's not everyday that I get to design with what I will consider my style. The Midwest is known for earth tones and clean lines of the Mission style. While I love all styles, the coastal design has my heart.
.
(On a side note, I'd like to mention the rapper Flo Rida. Without him, I was always spelling Floridia Florida incorrectly... )

Back to my point: What is a Florida look? Is it blues and greens? Is it seashells? Is it palm trees? How did you guess!

I am obsessed with the coastal look. But, there are many different types of coastal. There's the New England coast which is predominately designed using navy blues, white, and splashes of red. Then, there's the west coast style which is brighter tones of oranges, and yellows with rich wood tones. But Florida? Oh, Florida. That's my favorite.

Florida is crisp white linen, pretty teals, and greens, and sea foam blues. It's white washed furniture, and warm sandy tones. It's sea grass texture, mixed with dark west indies inspired pieces. It's baskets, and, shells, and did I mention sea grass?

Take a look at some of my very favorite sea grass items. Maybe there's a place in your home for a little Florida.

Bring in some blues, greens, and whites to complete your look. Even if you have a chocolate brown leather sofa, you can add some pizazz with cream pillows, a sisal textured rug, light artwork reflecting the beach or shells. Soften your look with accessories; white linen drapes to frame your window not hide it. Add vases and picture frames in aqua tones. It will brighten your mood and your life.

Who doesn't want to live in Florida year round? Ok, maybe not during hurricane season.

Pottery Barn

 


Ethan Allen

 
ballard designs

ottomantrayonline.com



 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment